Mango Berry Smoothie Bowl

Posted on

I could write sonnets dedicated to my love for fried foods and all things carb.





But as a twenty-year-old girl whose Instagram feed is looped with pictures of #fitspo and artfully-done acai bowls, it's hard for me to avoid falling into the rabbit hole of healthy eating and living.



I threw together this bowl with things I had around my kitchen (the perks of living at home during the summer: a fully stocked fridge), but I figured, hey, if I don't blog about this, or at least Instagram it, did I really eat this smoothie bowl? And let's be honest, the only difference between a smoothie and a smoothie bowl is the aesthetic component. At this point, I could write a "think-piece" about social media and the cult of #spo -- e.g. #thinspo, #fitspo, #thighgapspo?? -- but I won't bore you with that.

Instead, here's my smoothie bowl recipe for the health-conscious n00bie. Enjoy and wait for the Instagram likes to come pouring in! Because that's what really matters, right?


Ingredients (serves 1-2):

Smoothie

  • 1 1/2 mangoes
  • 1/3 cup blueberries
  • 1/3 cup blackberries
  • 1/3 cup raspberries (you can mix and match your berries, add more or less of a favourite)
  • 1/3 cup frozen wild blueberries (optional)
  • 1/2 ripe banana
  • 1/3 cup avocados (to thicken; alternative: almond butter)
  • 2 spoonfuls of yogurt (I used vanilla; plain greek yogurt would work too)
  • A splash of almond milk (or any liquid of your choosing)

Toppings

  • Chia seeds (they're great for you and don't have a particular taste)
  • Granola (I used Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal)
  • 1/2 mango
  • Berries of your choice

Instructions:

  1. Blend all the smoothie ingredients until smooth. I used my Magic Bullet, but any blender will do.
  2. Do a taste test and add more of your chosen ingredient until desired. I ended up adding half a banana to sweeten up my bowl.
  3. Pour your smoothie into a bowl, sprinkle with topping ingredients -- drizzle with honey or maple syrup if you have a sweet tooth! 
  4. Add more granola as you eat if desired.



Not bad for my first foray into smoothie bowls! I think I'll have to try a green bowl next -- soon I will become a full-fledged member of this ~health~ cult. Will report back!

Bon appetit!


Post a Comment